Saturday, November 13, 2010

"So you are THE STEPHANIE DAVIS"

WOW. Just wow.

Okay so I worked dispatch again today, for my 16 hour shift. My experience here has been AMAZING! The people are absolutely wonderful. I couldn't ask for a better place to be employed.

We get visitors all the time, I am constantly meeting new people. Which I love, I take after my daddy and I am very sociable.

Today a local fire department had their physical agility test here at the fire training center. I had a quick break so I decided to walk outside and see what it was all about and check on a few of the guys who I knew were testing. People were calling my name, people I had never heard of or even met saying hello and introducing their selves to me. I meet so many new people on a daily basis, I'm lucky I still know who I am. Well as I was making my way inside, one of the fire chiefs called me over and introduced me to a lady who is over marketing at the FD, she wanted to come see our new dispatch center. I was delighted to show her. As I introduced myself, she had a bit of a shocked look on her face, like I was a celebrity. During our discussion, she amplified how much she had heard about me and how elated she was to meet "The Stephanie Davis"  How much she had heard, she was very appreciative for what we do.

I was stunned.

I didn't know what to say.

I told her, it was just another day. She laughed at how simple I made it seem. I remember me being ecstatic about my career, meeting "famous" people in the business. And how some of these people make me feel like I am THAT important.

I am honored. Wow. Just Wow.

One of these "famous" people some of the folks in DFW and JoCo I know is Randal Goodwin. Randal Goodwin was a firefighter for a volunteer department in JoCo, during a brush fire he was hit with a down telephone wire and lost both of his legs and most of his eyesight. Randal can no longer fight fire but has created Emergency Support Services of Johnson County. (herosupporter.com) ESS responds to large incidents and provides rehab to the firefighters. I began volunteering with ESS about 5 months ago and have been on a handful of calls.

My first call with ESS, I ran a MVA with fatality and rollover in the middle of summer (here in Texas, temps get over 100 degrees) and the crews had an extended extrication so they requested ESS. Myself and Grace Goodwin (Randals wife) responded. It was tons of fun and I continued running with them. On another incident Randal and I began talking and he asked how I like running with ESS and I said its great! I love getting out here with the guys and helping people. Randal mentioned that he had asked Grace how I did on my first run, and she said "AWESOME! She's like the mini-me version of you, Randal, She steps off the truck and everyone knows who she is" So after that day, Randal started calling me "Mini-me" Something like that makes me think, everything Randal has done from helping other burn victims, staying active in the fire service, attending meetings and creating ESS. (He does talk alot, but that's just Randal LOL)

So, me only being here 10 months and people knowing who I am, and legends calling me "Mini-me" is simply an honor. I have never felt so welcomed and excepted in anything before.

I love it.

I hope to keep it up. :)

Until next time
Be safe out there.

1 comment:

  1. ** tear** your always someone special to me!
    I liked reading about the folks your hanging with out there.

    ReplyDelete