Saturday, June 4, 2011

Things like this....

I know it has been awhile since my last post, but what can I say.. I am a busy busy girl.

After working several days in a row, jumping back and forth between ambulance and dispatch, I had a few hours off yesterday. Those few hours I was very thankful for- being able to lay in my own bed without phones ringing or tones dropping. However, I did agree to help a friend out and cover his shift last night. I went in at 1900 hours and worked a 12 hour shift. We ran several calls- I swear it felt like a full moon because everything seemed to be an overdose, EToH, or pysch call. We even posted for several hours..... leaving us with very little sleep &&&&&& I had to work dispatch this morning. I literally left the station and came straight to dispatch and had to take a shower. I tried to lay down and catch a nap after I arrived in dispatch but I couldn't get comfortable. Me running on less an hour of sleep was not the best idea.

I am generally what alot of folks would call a 'nice' dispatcher. I am always very respectful and never give anyone an attitude. I am very passionate about my job but today I had little patience. I can recall one fireman calling in complaining about something and I didn't take any smack from him. He seemed somewhat shocked because I don't usually do that- I would say I cater to most of their needs and get everything taken care of that is in my possible power. I wasn't rude, I was just stern, which still isn't usually like me.

Anyway.. back to my original story. I was sitting here running the radio for a few calls I had units out on when the phone rang- my partner was busy so I answered it. We are required to record all controlled burns (folks wanting to burn brush, tree limbs, or trash.) This particular gentlemen was wanting to inform me that he wanted to burn some brush on his property. I usually carry on a short and sweet conversation with these folks- but like I said.... today I wasn't feeling it. So I asked for his information... wrote it down and then he asked about the weather, wanting to know how the winds were today. I don't always keep the weather up unless its bad so it took me a few seconds to find and locate it. He patiently waited and then I told him that the winds would be less than 10mph and should be safe for him to burn. Before he hung up- this gentleman said "Miss Stephanie...?" and I said "Yes sir?" He replied "Thanks for always being there...." and before I could respond, he hung up. I got tears in my eyes.. I stood up, walked over to my partner and gave her a hug.
The words that this complete stranger spoke to me- made my day... Turn my tiresome frown upside down.

It's the things like this that make me love my career even more everyday... It brought a smile to my face.


Until next time,
Be safe out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment