Thursday, November 4, 2010

How it all began...

I started my career in emergency services during the summer of 2008.

I was dating a guy who is a firefighter, we went to high school together, and during our down time we would always hang out at his volunteer (which eventually turned into paid) stations. The fire chief allowed me to go to their training nights, and one particular night I rode with Chief Stephenson. He asked me what I was doing with my life and I mentioned that I was working 2 jobs and trying to make it in this world. He told me that there was an EMT class about to start, and I said "Heck Yea!!!.... wait... what's an EMT?"

That one question led to many many many more.

Dad and Mom paid for my schooling and I hit the books hard, I was stoked. I joined a volunteer fire department and started running calls. I loved it so much. I even took time away from hunting to study and learn about EMS. I never wanted something so much in my life. I started taking extra classes and going to conferences. I passed my tests and practiced my skills on anyone that would let me. I started meeting people and everyone loved my enthusiasm for the field.

As soon as I graduated and took my national registry(and passed), I was hired with a 911 service in upstate South Carolina. I worked with their company for 3-4 months and then packed it on up and headed out west! I applied for my Texas state reciprocity, I showed proof of my NR Cert and they sent me a Texas state card!

My story, after I arrived in Texas will have to wait until a later date.

Until then, be safe out there!

No comments:

Post a Comment